ECTSS Committee on Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Statement
The ECTSS JEDI committee is committed to supporting the development of a diverse and inclusive cardiothoracic surgery workforce. We recognize that increasing representation of individuals with diverse backgrounds in cardiothoracic surgery will advance our profession, reduce health care disparities, and improve outcomes and access to health for all communities.
We celebrate the diversity of our members. The committee has several goals for supporting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout our organization:
- We will engage with our core membership to understand their diverse backgrounds and unique challenges, ensuring that their professional needs are addressed.
- We will recruit and retain a diverse membership by increasing mentorship pipelines for trainees and early career surgeons.
- We will support career development for surgeons from under-represented groups at all levels of their careers.
- We will gather data and provide feedback to the organization on current challenges and issues for under-represented groups within cardiothoracic surgery.
- We will collaborate with other professional organizations to support JEDI/DEI initiatives throughout cardiothoracic surgery and related fields.
- We will develop regular programs to educate ourselves and our colleagues on the unique experiences and needs of diverse patient populations.